What is rabies and how do people get it?

Peter DeLucia
Health Education
Rabies is a virus that is carried by mammals in their saliva, and is transmitted via a bite or scratch by a rabid animal. In this video, public health specialist Peter DeLucia, MPA, discusses this dangerous virus and how people get infected.
Joane Goodroe
Nursing

Rabies is an infectious viral disease that affects the nervous system of humans and other mammals. People get rabies from the bite of an animal with rabies (a rabid animal). Any wild mammal, like a raccoon, skunk, fox, coyote, or bat, can have rabies and transmit it to people. It is also possible, but quite rare, that people may get rabies if infectious material from a rabid animal, such as saliva, gets directly into their eyes, nose, mouth, or a wound.

Because rabies is a fatal disease, the goal of public health is, first, to prevent human exposure to rabies by education and, second, to prevent the disease by anti-rabies treatment if exposure occurs. Tens of thousands of people are successfully treated each year after being bitten by an animal that may have rabies. A few people die of rabies each year in the United States, usually because they do not recognize the risk of rabies from the bite of a wild animal and do not seek medical advice.

Continue Learning about Rabies

How common is rabies?
Rabies kills two or three people each year in the United States. These people usually don't know tha...
What should I do if I might have been exposed to rabies from a bat?
While bites are a common way for diseases to be spread from bats to humans, exposure to saliva and o...
How can bats spread rabies?
Should I talk to my doctor if I think I have been exposed to rabies?
Peter DeLuciaPeter DeLucia
If you think you've been exposed to rabies, you should seek medical attention immediately, and call ...