Is there a cure for rabies?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Once rabies symptoms start, there is no cure. Fewer than 10 people are known to have survived rabies. However, if you are exposed to the rabies virus, you won't develop the disease if you treat it before symptoms set in, anywhere from 10 days to more than a year after you're exposed. You'll have to take a series of shots, starting with rabies immune globulin and then rabies vaccine, that provide you with the antibodies that will kill the virus.

Continue Learning about Rabies

What is rabies and how do people get it?
Peter DeLuciaPeter DeLucia
Rabies is a virus that is carried by mammals in their saliva, and is transmitted via a bite or scrat...
How do other illnesses affect rabies?
No matter what other illnesses you have, you should get the rabies vaccine if you have been exposed ...
How can I tell if an animal has rabies?
Rabid animals may act violent, sick, or simply odd. A warning sign could be a wild animal that doesn...
How can I care for someone who has been exposed to rabies?
If you suspect someone has been exposed to rabies-usually through an animal bite-get them medical he...