How can I tell if an animal has rabies?

Animals with rabies may act strangely. For example, those that are usually active at night may be active in the daytime. A wild animal that usually tries to avoid people might not run from you. Rabid animals may drool, appear to be partially paralyzed, or act aggressively or strangely quiet.

Rabid animals may act violent, sick, or simply odd. A warning sign could be a wild animal that doesn't fear people or a nocturnal animal, such as a bat or raccoon, that appears in the daytime.

However, an infected animal may be contagious for days before it shows any signs of rabies. If you have been bitten by an animal, seek medical advice immediately.

Continue Learning about Rabies

How do other illnesses affect rabies?
No matter what other illnesses you have, you should get the rabies vaccine if you have been exposed ...
How can bats spread rabies?
While bites are a common way for diseases to be spread from bats to humans, exposure to saliva and o...
Should I talk to my doctor if I think I have been exposed to rabies?
Peter DeLuciaPeter DeLucia
If you think you've been exposed to rabies, you should seek medical attention immediately, and call ...
How is rabies treated?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
You must get rabies treatment very soon after you are exposed, before deadly symptoms appear. If you...