How is rabies treated?

You must get rabies treatment very soon after you are exposed, before deadly symptoms appear. If you have never been vaccinated for rabies, you will have to have a series of shots over several days to prevent rabies. Immediately, you will get a shot of rabies antibodies, called rabies immune globulin, and a shot of rabies vaccine, which will encourage your body to produce its own antibodies. Then, you will get several more shots of rabies vaccine over the next few weeks. Shots are usually given in the arm. If you have been vaccinated for rabies before, you won't need the immune globulin, just two shots of vaccine.

Once rabies symptoms start, there is no treatment. The disease is almost always fatal.

When a person is exposed to rabies, timely administration of a vaccine known as post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) can prevent infection. Once a person becomes infected and symptoms begin to occur, rabies is almost always fatal.

Dr. Brad J. Spellberg, MD
Infectious Disease Specialist

Rabies is treated by prevention. After a possible exposure, which in the US generally relates to an unprovoked attack by a wild animal or any exposure to bats, rabies immune globulin must be injected around the wound and intramuscularly to prevent onset of infection. There is no accepted treatment for infection that has already begun causing symptoms. There is now a report of 1 patient who survived active infection after many months of experimental therapies of a variety of types. Bottom line, you don't want rabies. The key is prevention.

Continue Learning about Rabies

Should I talk to my doctor if I think I have been exposed to rabies?
Peter DeLuciaPeter DeLucia
If you think you've been exposed to rabies, you should seek medical attention immediately, and call ...
How common is rabies?
Rabies kills two or three people each year in the United States. These people usually don't know tha...
How can I care for someone who has been exposed to rabies?
If you suspect someone has been exposed to rabies-usually through an animal bite-get them medical he...
How is rabies spread?
An exposure to rabies most commonly occurs when a person is bitten by a rabid animal. It can also be...