How do other illnesses affect rabies?

No matter what other illnesses you have, you should get the rabies vaccine if you have been exposed to rabies. However, if you have not yet been exposed and are getting vaccinated as a precaution (for example, if you plan to travel to a country where rabies is widespread) you may want to wait until you are relatively healthy to get the vaccine. A cold shouldn't stop you, but you may want to wait until a moderate or serious illness has passed. Before getting vaccinated for rabies, tell your doctor if you have serious allergies, have demonstrated an allergic reaction to the vaccine in the past, have a lowered immunity, or take steroids.

Continue Learning about Rabies

How can I care for someone who has been exposed to rabies?
If you suspect someone has been exposed to rabies-usually through an animal bite-get them medical he...
What should I do if I might have been exposed to rabies from a bat?
While bites are a common way for diseases to be spread from bats to humans, exposure to saliva and o...
How is rabies spread?
An exposure to rabies most commonly occurs when a person is bitten by a rabid animal. It can also be...
How can bats spread rabies?