How do other illnesses affect rabies?

No matter what other illnesses you have, you should get the rabies vaccine if you have been exposed to rabies. However, if you have not yet been exposed and are getting vaccinated as a precaution (for example, if you plan to travel to a country where rabies is widespread) you may want to wait until you are relatively healthy to get the vaccine. A cold shouldn't stop you, but you may want to wait until a moderate or serious illness has passed. Before getting vaccinated for rabies, tell your doctor if you have serious allergies, have demonstrated an allergic reaction to the vaccine in the past, have a lowered immunity, or take steroids.

Continue Learning about Rabies

How can bats spread rabies?
While bites are a common way for diseases to be spread from bats to humans, exposure to saliva and o...
Should I talk to my doctor if I think I have been exposed to rabies?
Peter DeLuciaPeter DeLucia
If you think you've been exposed to rabies, you should seek medical attention immediately, and call ...
How common is rabies?
Rabies kills two or three people each year in the United States. These people usually don't know tha...
What is rabies and how do people get it?
Peter DeLuciaPeter DeLucia
Rabies is a virus that is carried by mammals in their saliva, and is transmitted via a bite or scrat...