How dangerous is rabies if it is not treated?

Peter DeLucia
Health Education
Rabies is extremely dangerous, and it can be fatal if it's left untreated. In this video, public health specialist Peter DeLucia, MPA, discusses why it's imperative to seek medical attention if you've been bitten/scratched by a rabid animal.
Brad J. Spellberg, MD
Infectious Disease
Rabies is virtually 100% fatal if symptoms develop.  There is no effective treatment for infection once symptoms develop.  The key is to treat exposed patients with immune globulin to try to prevent establishment of infection.  Rabies prophylaxis with immune globulin is nearly 100% effective at preventing disease if it is given early enough after exposure.

Continue Learning about Rabies

How can I tell if an animal has rabies?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Animals with rabies may act strangely. For example, those that are usually active at night may b...
How do other illnesses affect rabies?
No matter what other illnesses you have, you should get the rabies vaccine if you have been exposed ...
Should I talk to my doctor if I think I have been exposed to rabies?
Peter DeLuciaPeter DeLucia
If you think you've been exposed to rabies, you should seek medical attention immediately, and call ...
How is rabies treated?
You must get rabies treatment very soon after you are exposed, before deadly symptoms appear. If you...