How common is rabies?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Rabies kills two or three people each year in the United States. These people usually don't know that they have been exposed and so they don't see a doctor. Modern rabies treatment has almost a 100 percent success rate, if you catch the virus early. Still, rabies kills about 55,000 people each year worldwide, mostly in Africa and Asia.

Continue Learning about Rabies

What is rabies and how do people get it?
Peter DeLuciaPeter DeLucia
Rabies is a virus that is carried by mammals in their saliva, and is transmitted via a bite or scrat...
Should I talk to my doctor if I think I have been exposed to rabies?
If you suspect you may have been exposed to rabies, you must seek medical help immediately, before y...
How can I tell if an animal has rabies?
Rabid animals may act violent, sick, or simply odd. A warning sign could be a wild animal that doesn...
How is rabies treated?
You must get rabies treatment very soon after you are exposed, before deadly symptoms appear. If you...