What are the side effects of the rabies vaccine?

Common side effects are headaches, itching, chills, dizziness or weakness, stomach pain, muscle discomfort, fatigue, minor fever and short-term soreness in the area where the injection was administered. These generally do not require a doctor's visit unless they become severe. More serious side effects include: numbness, joint pain, paralysis, visible problems with the injection area, facial swelling and other signs of serious allergic reaction. If you have been given rabies vaccine and experience these or other worrisome side effects, you should see a doctor as soon as possible.

Continue Learning about Rabies Vaccine

What should I know about the rabies vaccine before receiving it?
Before receiving the rabies vaccine, tell your doctor if you have an allergy to any of the ingredien...
Is there a generic version of the rabies vaccine?
Rabies vaccine is not available as a generic at this time. It is available under the brand names Imo...
What are the safety issues of the rabies vaccine in children and infants?
Rabies vaccine is safe for infants and children. Older children should be given the shot in the delt...
How soon after receiving the rabies vaccine will my symptoms improve?
If you are receiving the rabies vaccine as a preventative measure against possible rabies exposure, ...