What are the most common side effects of Imovax Rabies?

The most common side effect of an Imovax injection is soreness at the injection site. Other side effects include one or more of the following symptoms:
  • headache
  • injection site redness
  • inflammation
  • pain
  • itching
  • muscle ache
  • nausea
If a symptom is persistent or worsens, talk to your doctor. If any of the following serious side effects develop, seek medical care immediately. Serious side effects include:
  • allergic reaction symptoms (difficulty breathing, trouble swallowing, rash, hives, swelling of the face, tightness in the chest, hoarseness, joint or muscle ache, swelling of the injection site.)
  • high fever

If you experience these symptoms, seek medical care immediately. Fortunately, side effects are usually mild if they do develop and can be treated with anti-inflammatory or fever reducing medications.

Continue Learning about Rabies Vaccine

What are the safety issues of the rabies vaccine in children and infants?
Rabies vaccine is safe for infants and children. Older children should be given the shot in the delt...
How should I receive the rabies vaccine?
Rabies vaccine is an intramuscular injection, meaning that it is injected into muscle tissue. A medi...
How soon after receiving the rabies vaccine will my symptoms improve?
If you are receiving the rabies vaccine as a preventative measure against possible rabies exposure, ...
What should I know about the rabies vaccine before receiving it?
Before receiving the rabies vaccine, tell your doctor if you have an allergy to any of the ingredien...