Should my husband receive a rabies vaccine since he's a wildlife officer?

It may be a good idea for your husband to consider getting a rabies vaccine. People whose job or volunteer work puts them at increased risk for being exposed to rabies may get rabies vaccine to help protect them. These people include animal handlers, wildlife officers, veterinarians, veterinary assistants and some people who work with animals in research laboratories.

Peter DeLucia
Health Education
I would recommend that your husband gets vaccinated against rabies.  All of my staff at the Health Department that handle potential rabid animal specimens have been vaccinated, including me!  It is recommended for anyone that has an increased chance in coming in contact with animals that are known carriers of the disease such as raccoons, fox, bats, cats, coyotes, and dogs.  It sounds like your husband is a perfect candidate for the vaccination. 

Continue Learning about Rabies Vaccine

Who should not receive the rabies vaccine?
The benefits of receiving the rabies vaccine injection after encountering a potentially rabid animal...
Who should receive the rabies vaccine?
Rabies vaccine should be given only to people who have reason to think they are in danger of becomin...
Is there a generic version of the rabies vaccine?
Rabies vaccine is not available as a generic at this time. It is available under the brand names Imo...
The First Person to Survive Rabies Without a Vaccine