Is it true that a rabies vaccine isn't as painful as it used to be?

In the past, rabies vaccine used to require up to three weeks of painful, daily injections in the stomach area. Today's rabies vaccine requires fewer injections, are given in the arm and have few serious side effects. Side effects include:
  • a sore, red, swollen or itchy spot on the arm where the shot was given
  • headaches
  • dizziness
  • nausea
  • abdominal pain
  • muscle aches

Continue Learning about Rabies Vaccine

What should I know about the rabies vaccine before receiving it?
Before receiving the rabies vaccine, tell your doctor if you have an allergy to any of the ingredien...
What should I avoid after receiving the rabies vaccine?
Your doctor may recommend that you avoid taking immunosuppressive drugs, such as anti-malarials, ami...
How does the rabies vaccine react with other drugs or foods?
The rabies vaccine does not interact with foods. However, the vaccine can interact with other drugs ...
The First Person to Survive Rabies Without a Vaccine