When should I start to talk to my child about smoking?

The earlier you begin talking to your kids about the risks of tobacco use, the more likely it will be that they won’t ever use it. Kids who don’t begin smoking before age 18 are likely to never begin. You can begin talking to your kids about smoking as early as age 5 or 6, and the dialogue should continue through high school. If you reinforce the message from an early age, hopefully your child will be able to resist the pressure to smoke from his or her peers. Many kids begin smoking earlier than you might think: in the middle school years, around age 11, and a great number are addicted by age 14. Tobacco use is the biggest preventable cause of death in the United States, and can lead to heart disease, cancer, and stroke.

If you are a smoker yourself, the best thing you can do for your children’s health is to quit. Easier said than done, I know, but at the very least, avoid using tobacco around your children and don’t leave cigarettes within their reach. You can use your experience to talk to your kids about how hard it is to quit once you become addicted, and how it’s best not to begin smoking in the first place.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Quit Smoking

How to Quit Smoking in 5 Steps
How to Quit Smoking in 5 Steps
"Quitting smoking is easy. I've done it a hundred times!" If you've tried to stop puffing on coffin nails, Mark Twain's quotation rings oh-too-true. B...
How do I deal with weight gain when I quit smoking?
Dealing with weight gain after smoking is something many people must face. Many people who quit ...
5 Ways to Overcome Cigarette Cravings
5 Ways to Overcome Cigarette Cravings5 Ways to Overcome Cigarette Cravings5 Ways to Overcome Cigarette Cravings5 Ways to Overcome Cigarette Cravings
Quitting is hard, but not impossible.
Under 40? Here's Another Reason to Quit Smoking Now