What should I tell my child about smoking?

It’s okay to be brutally honest -- cigarettes make people sick and many people die because of them. Perhaps you know someone who has died from a smoking-related illness: You should let your kids know the truth about the devastating effects of a lifetime of smoking.

You can also role play how your children could say “no” to someone who is pressuring them to smoke, and be sure your kids know that no matter what they might see in movies or on television, smoking isn’t cool.

Besides addiction and disease, these short-term effects of tobacco may help turn your kids off to smoking:

• Smoking hurts your lungs and makes it harder to breathe, especially during sports.
  • Smokers can’t run as fast or as far as nonsmokers.
  • Cigarette smoke makes your hair and clothes stink.
  • Tobacco causes yellow stains on your teeth and bad breath.
  • Spit tobacco can cause your mouth to bleed, sores in the mouth, and cracked lips. Money spent on cigarettes can be put to much better use.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Quit Smoking

Common Smoking Triggers and How to Avoid Them
Many people think smoking is a long-term stress reliever, but it’s not. Smoking only relieves the stress of nicotine withdrawal between cigarettes. Ea...
What is the bottom line for smokers who want to protect their health?
Imran K. Niazi, MDImran K. Niazi, MD
Do yourself a favor and STOP … NOW!Smoking has many ill effects that cause health problems, and it c...
How to Quit Smoking Once and for All
How to Quit Smoking Once and for AllHow to Quit Smoking Once and for AllHow to Quit Smoking Once and for AllHow to Quit Smoking Once and for All
Say farewell to your cigarettes by sticking to this step-by-step plan.
How Can I Reduce the Risk of Vision Loss?