What is in secondhand smoke?

Secondhand smoke is the tobacco smoke around smokers, which is inhaled by anyone nearby. Secondhand smoke is as much a health hazard as smoking itself. It contains all the same cancer-causing substances, to the point where there is no amount of secondhand smoke that is safe to breathe. Even a short exposure to secondhand smoke can be enough to trigger a heart attack, and exposure to secondhand smoke is behind about 46,000 deaths from heart disease each year.

Continue Learning about Quit Smoking

Develop a Quit Smoking Plan That Really Works
Robin Miller, MD, explains why your doctor should be part of your smoking cessation team, plus some quit smoking tools that may help prevent slip-ups....
Why are cigarettes harmful?
Frank T. Leone, MDFrank T. Leone, MD
There are over 4,000 chemicals in just one cigarette:400 are known to be toxic40 are known to cause ...
How Can I Have a Heart-Healthy Lifestyle?
Do Consumers Need to Shift Their Mindset About Being Well?