What are some good questions to ask my doctor if I smoke?

It’s a great idea to have a discussion about smoking with your doctor. Some questions you may consider include the following:
  • What are the health risks of smoking and what benefits will I get from quitting?
  • What options are available to help me quit smoking?
  • Do smoking cessation treatments have any side effects or interactions with any of the medications I am taking?
  • What symptoms might I experience when I quit smoking and how can I deal with them?
  • Where should I go for support when I feel the urge to smoke during my quit attempt?

The following questions can help you talk to your physician about your individual risks from smoking and how you might try quitting. Print out or write down these questions and take them with you to your appointment. Taking notes can help you remember your physician’s response when you get home.

• What are the health risks of smoking (or smokeless tobacco) for me personally?
  • Will quitting smoking (and/or smokeless tobacco) significantly lower my health risks? Will it lower my health risks even if I already have heart disease?
  • What are the withdrawal symptoms of quitting and how can I manage them?
  • Are medications to help me quit an option? If so, which ones? How long will I be on them? And what are the side effects of the medications?
  • Am I a good candidate to participate in a clinical trial for smoking cessation? How can I get more information about clinical trials that could help me?
  • Where can I go for smoking cessation counseling or a support group?
  • I’m worried about gaining weight if I quit smoking. Can you refer me to a dietitian to help me with a heart-healthy eating plan?
  • I smoke when I drink alcohol. Do I have to give up both?
  • I’ve tried to quit before and it didn’t work. Does that mean I won’t be able to quit this time?
  • What can I do to avoid going back to smoking?

Continue Learning about Quit Smoking

Why are cigarettes harmful?
Frank T. Leone, MDFrank T. Leone, MD
There are over 4,000 chemicals in just one cigarette:400 are known to be toxic40 are known to cause ...
What are the health effects of smoking a hookah pipe?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
The health effects of smoking a hookah pipe include increased risk for lung, mouth and bladder cance...
What boundaries should I set as a recovering smoker?
If you are trying to quit smoking, you may want to avoid other smokers, at least for a while. Seeing...
Kicking Butts: 50 Years of Progress
Kicking Butts: 50 Years of ProgressKicking Butts: 50 Years of ProgressKicking Butts: 50 Years of ProgressKicking Butts: 50 Years of Progress
Take a look at 10 anti-smoking milestones since the first Surgeon General’s report. Cigarettes were in fashion long before we knew they could kill. Ci...