What should I do if I start smoking again after I quit?

If you start smoking again, don't throw in the towel. There are millions of people out there who have tried many times to quit before they do so for good. It may take up to 10 tries before you are able to kick the habit forever. And since you tried once before, you already know that you're capable.

Slip-ups may actually work to your benefit because when you slip, you have the opportunity to take a close look at the reasons behind your misstep. You can use them to your advantage by cutting them off at the chase the next time around.

When we look at the difference between the quitters and slippers, we find that lack of support is the monkey wrench. It could be that you didn't use the right tools to help you get through it. Many people get it right. So will you. Keep trying. Deal?
If you start smoking again after you quit, don't panic. It takes the average smoker at least six attempts to become an ex-smoker for good, so don't give up.

Nicotine is highly addictive and withdrawal causes physical and psychological symptoms. Each time you relapse, you will learn more about the triggers that make your urge to smoke uncontrollable so that you can try new ways to avoid or overcome them. Find other ways to keep your mouth and hands busy, such as chewing gum or eating carrot sticks. If you're struggling, your doctor can recommend prescription medications or a nicotine replacement product such as a gum, patch, nasal spray or lozenge to take the edge off your cravings.
Dr. Robin Miller, MD
If you start smoking again after you quit the answer is easy.  Quit again! The more times you quit the more likely you are to succeed.

Continue Learning about Quit Smoking

Success Story: Eileen Stafford
Success Story: Eileen Stafford
Name: Eileen Stafford Age: 62 Current RealAge: 57 Start weight: 243 Current weight: 165 What was really killing me: How bad I felt about myself. Also...
Why are cigarettes harmful?
Frank T. Leone, MDFrank T. Leone, MD
There are over 4,000 chemicals in just one cigarette:400 are known to be toxic40 are known to cause ...
How Tracking Can Help You Quit Smoking—and 5 More Tips to Quit
How Tracking Can Help You Quit Smoking—and 5 More Tips to QuitHow Tracking Can Help You Quit Smoking—and 5 More Tips to QuitHow Tracking Can Help You Quit Smoking—and 5 More Tips to QuitHow Tracking Can Help You Quit Smoking—and 5 More Tips to Quit
Download Sharecare to kick your tobacco habit for good.
Use Your Smartphone to Quit Smoking
Use Your Smartphone to Quit Smoking