What should I do if I start smoking again after I quit?

Dr. Robin Miller, MD
If you start smoking again after you quit the answer is easy.  Quit again! The more times you quit the more likely you are to succeed.
If you start smoking again after you quit, don't panic. It takes the average smoker at least six attempts to become an ex-smoker for good, so don't give up.

Nicotine is highly addictive and withdrawal causes physical and psychological symptoms. Each time you relapse, you will learn more about the triggers that make your urge to smoke uncontrollable so that you can try new ways to avoid or overcome them. Find other ways to keep your mouth and hands busy, such as chewing gum or eating carrot sticks. If you're struggling, your doctor can recommend prescription medications or a nicotine replacement product such as a gum, patch, nasal spray or lozenge to take the edge off your cravings.
If you start smoking again, don't throw in the towel. There are millions of people out there who have tried many times to quit before they do so for good. It may take up to 10 tries before you are able to kick the habit forever. And since you tried once before, you already know that you're capable.

Slip-ups may actually work to your benefit because when you slip, you have the opportunity to take a close look at the reasons behind your misstep. You can use them to your advantage by cutting them off at the chase the next time around.

When we look at the difference between the quitters and slippers, we find that lack of support is the monkey wrench. It could be that you didn't use the right tools to help you get through it. Many people get it right. So will you. Keep trying. Deal?

Continue Learning about Quit Smoking

New Dangers From Secondhand and Thirdhand Smoke
Smokey the Bear, Smokey Robinson, Smokey and the Bandit—these smoky icons may be a few generations past their prime, but their impact on pop culture s...
Why should I quit smoking now?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
No matter how old you are or how long you've smoked, quitting can help you live longer and be health...
Shocking Smoking Facts That Will Make You Want to Quit Today
Shocking Smoking Facts That Will Make You Want to Quit TodayShocking Smoking Facts That Will Make You Want to Quit TodayShocking Smoking Facts That Will Make You Want to Quit TodayShocking Smoking Facts That Will Make You Want to Quit Today
Smoking not only causes cancer and heart and lung disease, but it’s associated with stress, reproductive problems and more.
How Can I Reduce the Risk of Vision Loss?