Does smoking increase my unborn babies risk of nicotine addiction?

Maternal smoking during pregnancy does not appear to increase the risk that the affected child will become a smoker, but if that child does become a smoker, there will be a greater chance that they will be addicted to nicotine. A study published in 2003 by Dr. Stephen L. Buka of the Harvard School of Public Health in Boston found that mothers who smoke a pack or more per day have children who are at double the risk of having tobacco addiction, compared to non-smoking mothers. Those who smoked less than a pack a day had children who had a 20% higher risk of tobacco addiction, compared to non-smoking mothers. This is another reason why it is important to avoid any smoking during pregnancy.

Continue Learning about Quit Smoking

Can Vaping Increase Your Risk of Seizures?
You know that illegal drugs can lead to massive seizures: In January 2019, federal authorities seized 221 pounds of cocaine in two busts in Port Huene...
New Ways to Quit Smoking
New Ways to Quit SmokingNew Ways to Quit SmokingNew Ways to Quit SmokingNew Ways to Quit Smoking
Turn your smartphone into a powerful tool to help you quit tobacco for good. So you’re finally ready to kick the cigarette habit. Congratulations! You...
Why Hasn't Preventative Care Gained Traction?
How Can I Have a Heart-Healthy Lifestyle?