If I usually smoke when I drink beer, should I stop drinking beer?

Sure. Smoking is usually a social habit, and the hardest part of quitting is changing habits associated with your smoking. Alcohol may also decrease your ability to say no. Look at other habits that you do with smoking and change them to help you quit.
Drinking beer or any other alcoholic beverage poses several problems if you're trying to quit smoking. First, if you always had a smoke when you cracked open a beer in the past, then drinking one now may make you crave a cigarette. If you drink several beers, you might decide you can handle having just one butt. The problem is, alcohol lowers inhibition and clouds judgment. So if you drink enough, you might think, "Heck, I can have just one cigarette, can't I?" And before you know it, you've smoked half a pack and you're on the way to getting hooked on nicotine all over again.

You don't have to give up beer and other alcoholic beverages forever when you quit smoking. But avoiding alcohol while you're adjusting to a healthier way of life may keep you on the right path.
Dr. Robin Miller, MD
It might be a good idea to quit drinking beer initially.  Once you are smoke-free for a matter of weeks or months you might be able to have an occasional beer again.  However, avoiding situations where you are used to smoking will increase your chance for success.

Continue Learning about Quit Smoking

Nixing the Nicotine
Nixing the Nicotine
In 1980, when D.C. comics created Nick O’Teen, a villain with yellow-stained teeth who pushed smoking to children around schoolyards and had a mortal ...
Why should I quit smoking now?
Joanne M. Foody, MDJoanne M. Foody, MD
Smoking is one of the biggest risk factors for a heart attack. It also puts you at risk for lung can...
Not Ready to Quit Smoking? Try These Lifestyle Changes Instead
Not Ready to Quit Smoking? Try These Lifestyle Changes InsteadNot Ready to Quit Smoking? Try These Lifestyle Changes InsteadNot Ready to Quit Smoking? Try These Lifestyle Changes InsteadNot Ready to Quit Smoking? Try These Lifestyle Changes Instead
Healthy eating and exercise can make it easier to quit when you are finally ready.
How to Be Tobacco-Free
How to Be Tobacco-Free