Is it okay to have just one cigarette as a recovering smoker?

If it were okay to have just one cigarette, let's face it, quitting wouldn't be so hard. Your body and brain crave nicotine. That's why it takes most people more than six stabs before finally kicking the habit. Any time you give in to the urge, you make it that much harder to stop for good. When you're a recovering smoker, you need to avoid cigarettes completely. Even one little puff can cause you to relapse.
This depends on the individual. For some smokers, just having a single cigarette can lead to a relapse of smoking; for most smokers, abstaining from all cigarettes for longer than 3 months reduces the chances of a relapse.
Irwin Isaacs
No, because that can lead back into the addiction.
Robert S. Kaufmann, MD

No.  Because unfortunately if you are a true addict one cigarette can lead to you smoking full bore again.  I think that you don't want to trigger that addiction once you have fought through it.

No.  That 1 cigarette will often cause you to have a life full of injury and have to quit again.  About a third of smokers are genetically addicted.  What we mean by that is that 1 cigarette will hook them for a long, long, time.  And by hook them for a long, long time, we mean they will be addicted again, as addicted as if they had a pack of cigarettes.  For the other two-thirds of smokers, they might be able to try one, but they might get addicted again.  It just is not genetically programmed into them.  So, the answer will be "no it is not okay to just have one.  That will addict you in a bad way again."  

Continue Learning about Quit Smoking

Success Story: Eileen Stafford
Success Story: Eileen Stafford
Name: Eileen Stafford Age: 62 Current RealAge: 57 Start weight: 243 Current weight: 165 What was really killing me: How bad I felt about myself. Also...
How can I nudge my friends to stop smoking without being a nag?
Self checSelf chec
You can send a CaringCard at: http://selfchec.org/main/cardshopnew.php. It's a special kind of free ...
How Tracking Can Help You Quit Smoking—and 5 More Tips to Quit
How Tracking Can Help You Quit Smoking—and 5 More Tips to QuitHow Tracking Can Help You Quit Smoking—and 5 More Tips to QuitHow Tracking Can Help You Quit Smoking—and 5 More Tips to QuitHow Tracking Can Help You Quit Smoking—and 5 More Tips to Quit
Download Sharecare to kick your tobacco habit for good.
How Have We Done in Combatting Smoking?
How Have We Done in Combatting Smoking?