What increases my risk for nicotine addiction?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Nicotine is a chemical found in cigarettes and other tobacco products. The risk of nicotine addiction is high among all populations because of the immediate gratification the brain experiences when nicotine reaches the receptors and releases dopamine. Teenagers seem particularly vulnerable to addiction with even occasional use leading to addiction. Having a mental illness like schizophrenia or depression also seems to increases the likelihood of addiction to nicotine.

Continue Learning about Quit Smoking

My friends say that smoking is cool. Should I believe them?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Smoking is not cool. It greatly raises the risk of all types of health problems and is the major cau...
What does pipe tobacco smoke contain?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
All tobacco products contain over a thousand chemicals many of which cause cancer. Pipe tobacco is n...
Does exposure to secondhand smoke cause cancer?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
Yes. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the U.S. National Toxicology Program (NTP), the...
What Is the Gold Standard for Eye Care?
What Is the Gold Standard for Eye Care?