If I smoke, will second-hand smoke affect my family’s health?

If you don’t do it for yourself, quit smoking for your family’s health. Every year, 50,000 people die from exposure to second-hand smoke, according to the American Lung Association. Second-hand smoke contains hundreds of chemicals known to cause cancer. It can also raise a nonsmoker’s risk of a heart attack. And according to the Surgeon General’s Report on second-hand smoke in 2006, there is no safe level of exposure to second-hand smoke. If you aren’t ready to quit, you can still take steps to minimize the exposure of your loved ones and others to the dangers of second-hand smoke by taking care not to smoke around nonsmokers.

Continue Learning about Quit Smoking

Does glamorizing smoking in movies impact smoking rates?
Absolutely.  Smoking rates go up after kids see cigarettes used in movies.  Especially, this is actu...
What does cigarette smoke contain?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Cigarettes, cigars, pipes and chewing or smokeless tobaccos are made from dried tobacco leaves. Ther...
Is Raising a Social Consciousness About Diet the Soulution for Healthy Eating?
How Can I Have a Heart-Healthy Lifestyle?