How hard is it to break a nicotine addiction?

Nicotine is a drug that causes physical dependence, so quitting can be very difficult. Symptoms of nicotine withdrawal typically peak in the first three days and include mood changes, anxiety, increased appetite, irritability and trouble sleeping. If you are trying to quit, set a quit date. See your doctor if you are unable to quit. He or she may recommend counseling or medications that can help you quit and remain tobacco-free.

Armin Brott
Pediatrician

Research indicates that nicotine addiction is one of the most difficult to break. Like other addictions, it works in a fiendishly clever way to keep the smoker smoking, signaling the “reward” circuits of the brain to release dopamine, which produces feelings of pleasure. One of the many problems, of course, is that keeping those pleasurable sensations going requires ever-higher levels of the drug (in this case, nicotine). That means that today’s three-cigarettes-a-day habit could gradually turn into three packs a day.

Smoking can be one of the hardest addictions to break. It's importatnt that patients find support to cope with symptoms of nicotine withdrawal.

Continue Learning about Quit Smoking

Hawaii Health Alert: Would You Know If Your Child Is Vaping?
If you’re the parent of a teen—or even a “tween” who’s navigating middle school—you need to know about e-cigarettes. Odds are your child not only know...
How can I politely ask someone not to smoke around me?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
Say simply, "Smoking is really bad for me, so do you mind smoking where I won’t be affected by your ...
5 Ways to Overcome Cigarette Cravings
5 Ways to Overcome Cigarette Cravings5 Ways to Overcome Cigarette Cravings5 Ways to Overcome Cigarette Cravings5 Ways to Overcome Cigarette Cravings
Quitting is hard, but not impossible.
Quitting Smoking May Improve Back Pain
Quitting Smoking May Improve Back Pain