How severely can breathing secondhand smoke age me?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)
Cigarette smoke can harm you the very second you inhale. And you don't have to wrap your lips around a cigarette to be exposed. You may not see or even smell cigarette smoke because it can waft through the air unnoticed. But if you and your children live with a smoker, you are exposed to secondhand smoke. It can have an immediate harmful effect on the lining of the blood vessels, including those supplying the heart and the lungs. There is no safe level of secondhand smoke. The damage from secondhand smoke is similar to the damage from directly inhaling smoke. It can shave years off your life and cause you to develop serious diseases.
Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Cigarette smoke contains more than 7,000 chemicals including hundreds that are toxic and 70 that cause cancer. Repeated exposure to secondhand smoke increases your risk of heart disease and lung cancer by 25% to 30%. More than 46,000 nonsmokers die of heart disease because of secondhand smoke.

Continue Learning about Quit Smoking

Hawaii Health Alert: Is Vaping Really Better Than Smoking?
Millions of Americans use e-cigarettes regularly, and the number of vapers in the United States is on the rise, particularly among young people. Vapin...
How do I stay free from smoking once I've completed treatment?
One of the best things you can do for yourself is to quit smoking, and it can be difficult to st...
How to Quit Smoking Once and for All
How to Quit Smoking Once and for AllHow to Quit Smoking Once and for AllHow to Quit Smoking Once and for AllHow to Quit Smoking Once and for All
Say farewell to your cigarettes by sticking to this step-by-step plan.
What Healthy Lifestyle Changes Are People Most Willing to Make?