Are there foods I can eat to prevent nicotine cravings?

Theodore D. Richards, MD
Certain foods and beverages are thought to help you kick the smoking habit. Some foods, such as non-carbonated beverages like water and juice, fruit such as apples and bananas, dairy products like milk and cheese, and some vegetables like carrots and celery, can make cigarettes taste awful. Avoid foods that make the taste of cigarettes enticing, like alcohol, coffee and meat. There is some evdiance to support that foods like oats, oranges, spinach and brown rice help to overcome cigarette cravings.
Dr. Mike Dow, PsyD
Addiction Medicine
Watch as Dr. Mike Dow discusses some foods you can eat to help prevent nicotine cravings.

Ximena Jimenez
Smoking cessation has many health benefits; however food cravings are one side effect that makes most people think twice about stopping. The following are foods that may help with your food cravings:
  • Drinking water helps to decrease the craving
  • Chew some gum
  • Fruits and vegetables: a study from Duke University shows that eating fruits and vegetables make cigarettes taste bad

Continue Learning about Quit Smoking

Success Story: Eileen Stafford
Success Story: Eileen Stafford
Name: Eileen Stafford Age: 62 Current RealAge: 57 Start weight: 243 Current weight: 165 What was really killing me: How bad I felt about myself. Also...
What are the health effects of smoking a hookah pipe?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
The health effects of smoking a hookah pipe include increased risk for lung, mouth and bladder cance...
Not Ready to Quit Smoking? Try These Lifestyle Changes Instead
Not Ready to Quit Smoking? Try These Lifestyle Changes InsteadNot Ready to Quit Smoking? Try These Lifestyle Changes InsteadNot Ready to Quit Smoking? Try These Lifestyle Changes InsteadNot Ready to Quit Smoking? Try These Lifestyle Changes Instead
Healthy eating and exercise can make it easier to quit when you are finally ready.
What Is the Gold Standard for Eye Care?
What Is the Gold Standard for Eye Care?