Do less people smoke in the U.S. than in the past?

Fewer Americans are smoking these days, but that decline may have hit a wall the past five years. In 2008, 20.6% of adults aged 18 and older smoked. That's 22.8% of men and 18.5% of women. We are making strides, but we're still a long way from meeting the goals set by the U.S. Healthy People 2010 initiative to reduce smoking to just 12% of the adult population.
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, smoking rates have been declining since 1970, with the smoking rate among young people at its lowest ever.  About 20.6 percent of all adults are smokers.
Robert S. Kaufmann, MD

The numbers are going down but the scary part is that young people numbers are increasing.  The older people are quitting and the younger ones are starting to increase.

Yes.  In the 1960s, approximately 55% of men and 30% of women smoked.  We are now down to about 20% who smoke in both categories.
Joseph I. Miller Jr., MD
Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular)
In the United States fewer people are smoking each year. However in developing countries smoking is increasing every year.

Continue Learning about Quit Smoking

Common Smoking Triggers and How to Avoid Them
Many people think smoking is a long-term stress reliever, but it’s not. Smoking only relieves the stress of nicotine withdrawal between cigarettes. Ea...
What are the health and economic costs of smoking?
The average cost of a pack of cigarettes in the U.S. is $5.31, and depending on where you live, it c...
5 Ways to Overcome Cigarette Cravings
5 Ways to Overcome Cigarette Cravings5 Ways to Overcome Cigarette Cravings5 Ways to Overcome Cigarette Cravings5 Ways to Overcome Cigarette Cravings
Quitting is hard, but not impossible.
How Can I Have a Heart-Healthy Lifestyle?