What is the danger of third-hand smoke?

Did you know that third-hand smoke could be putting your family's health at risk right now? That's right, even if you never smoke when family members are in the room or go outside to light up, over 40 million Americans are still being exposed to dangerous chemicals in the form of third-hand smoke.

Secondhand smoke is the kind you can see (and that you are directly inhaling) when someone near you is smoking. Third-hand smoke consists of the particles that come from the smoke and ash that land on your clothes, furniture, hair, and other surfaces. They interact with chemicals in the air and become carcinogens (cancer-causing substances).

Researchers are now discovering that when your spouse and other family members inhale those particles, it can cause some of the same health problems as second or first-hand smoke.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Quit Smoking

Kicking Butts: 50 Years of Progress
Kicking Butts: 50 Years of ProgressKicking Butts: 50 Years of ProgressKicking Butts: 50 Years of ProgressKicking Butts: 50 Years of Progress
Take a look at 10 anti-smoking milestones since the first Surgeon General’s report. Cigarettes were in fashion long before we knew they could kill. Ci...
Do You Treat Women Differently than You Treat Men in Cardiaology?
How Can I Reduce the Risk of Vision Loss?
Why Do People Still Smoke?
Why Do People Still Smoke?