Why am I addicted to cigarettes?

Smoking serves as the classic example of addiction because not only is it legal, but also detrimental to your health as soon as you puff (unlike other addictions, which in a non-addictive form may be okay in moderation, such as alcohol).
It's a maladaptive response to stress or something else that is bothering you. Why maladaptive? Because when you finish the cigarette or the jaw of tobacco, the stress or boss is still there. And while the hydrocarbons do damage to the rest of your body, the vehicle of nicotine is the addictive part. Regardless of how nicotine reaches the bloodstream, it's distributed through the brain and body where it activates receptors called cholinergic receptors. Nicotine changes these receptors so that a regular user needs to continue to get nicotine to have normal functioning of the brain - and stopping can trigger withdrawal symptoms. Plus, nicotine stimulates the release of the reward-seeking chemical dopamine - which supports the pleasure that many smokers feel, and which makes it so dang hard to stop.
That underscores the point that addictive behaviors can change our brain chemistry in ways that makes the addiction nearly impossible to break.

You: Being Beautiful - The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Quit Smoking

Vaping and E-cigarettes: What You Need to Know
When you think of the flavors of popcorn and caramel, you may find you’re remembering childhood visits to the circus or a baseball game. Today, those ...
Develop a Quit Smoking Plan That Really Works
Robin Miller, MD, explains why your doctor should be part of your smoking cessation team, plus some quit smoking tools that may help prevent slip-ups....
How can I nudge my friends to stop smoking without being a nag?
Self checSelf chec
You can send a CaringCard at: http://selfchec.org/main/cardshopnew.php. It's a special kind of free ...
When should I start to talk to my child about smoking?
The earlier you begin talking to your kids about the risks of tobacco use, the more likely it will b...