What causes nicotine cravings during addiction recovery?

When you smoke a cigarette, cigar, or pipe, your body is getting a dose of nicotine. Your body quickly builds up a tolerance to this highly addictive drug. That's why people may start out smoking one or two cigarettes a day, but they wind up puffing through one or two packs.

When you quit smoking, your body suddenly loses its nicotine fix. That's a good thing, of course. But it takes time for your body and brain to adjust to this shock to the system. Nicotine acts on your brain to provide a sense of pleasure and contentment. When nicotine goes missing, you naturally crave it.

Hang in there. Nicotine cravings fade over time. It may take a few days or weeks, but eventually your brain and the rest of your body will adjust to this new, healthier way of living.
Cravings are caused by the withdrawal of nicotine, which is a highly addictive substance with stimulant qualities. 

It is the dopamine in your brain.  Your nicotine puffs release dopamine and your body craves that dopamine release.  The same thing with heroin, it causes dopamine release too.  There is no harm in having nicotine patches tapered in a steady way to help get rid of your addiction.  That is, the usual 1 pack per day smoker needs 21 mg of nicotine initially, 14 mg 2 months later, and 7 mg 2 months after that, to get rid of the nicotine addiction.  No harm in doing that.  Nicotine is okay - and it is much better than the cigarettes.  The hydrocarbons in tobacco and in other things you smoke, are what cause the cancer, immune dysfunction, arterial aging, and even the back pain that smokers have.

In this segment of Discovery Health's "Continuing Medical Education," Frank Vitale of the University of Pittsburgh's School of Pharmacy talks about the causes of nicotine cravings.

Continue Learning about Quit Smoking

Success Story: Eileen Stafford
Success Story: Eileen Stafford
Name: Eileen Stafford Age: 62 Current RealAge: 57 Start weight: 243 Current weight: 165 What was really killing me: How bad I felt about myself. Also...
I miss the feeling of a cigarette in my mouth; what can I do?
It is common for people who have smoked to be in the habit of having something in their mouth. Good ...
Not Ready to Quit Smoking? Try These Lifestyle Changes Instead
Not Ready to Quit Smoking? Try These Lifestyle Changes InsteadNot Ready to Quit Smoking? Try These Lifestyle Changes InsteadNot Ready to Quit Smoking? Try These Lifestyle Changes InsteadNot Ready to Quit Smoking? Try These Lifestyle Changes Instead
Healthy eating and exercise can make it easier to quit when you are finally ready.
Do You Know Why You Want to Quit Smoking?