Can smoking addiction be inherited?

We don't know if addictive behaviors are genetic, or if being around others with addiction teaches them. Either way, children of smokers (as well as drinkers and drug abusers) are more likely to share their parents' addictions. This is another good reason to make a big effort to stop these unhealthy behaviors with the birth of your children.
Lily Cook
Addiction Medicine
Yes! There does seem to be a genetic predisposition to nicotine addiction, particularly with "super addicts," who are more likely to become addicted to nicotine very quickly and have a hard time quitting. For this reason it's important for smokers who have kids to be open with them about the dangers of smoking and to educate them about how to quit.

Continue Learning about Quit Smoking

Common Smoking Triggers and How to Avoid Them
Many people think smoking is a long-term stress reliever, but it’s not. Smoking only relieves the stress of nicotine withdrawal between cigarettes. Ea...
Is nicotine addictive?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Nicotine is extremely addictive. In fact, it is as addicting as heroin. It is 1000 times more addict...
Kicking Butts: 50 Years of Progress
Kicking Butts: 50 Years of ProgressKicking Butts: 50 Years of ProgressKicking Butts: 50 Years of ProgressKicking Butts: 50 Years of Progress
Take a look at 10 anti-smoking milestones since the first Surgeon General’s report.
How Can I Have a Heart-Healthy Lifestyle?