Can I quit smoking if I've tried and failed before?

It is still possible to quit smoking if you have failed when trying to quit in the past. In fact, it takes most smokers several attempts to completely quit. It is important to look at each quit attempt as a victory and keep trying to quit even after relapsing. It is most common to relapse within one week of quitting when cravings are the strongest, so it is important to have a support plan in place with family and friends for what you will do instead of smoking when you get cravings.
UCLA Health
Administration
Although effective new strategies have increased the success rates among people attempting to quit, those rates are still only about 20 percent. But a relapse shouldn’t be seen as a sign that trying to quit is futile. “If you’ve tried before, statistics show you actually have a better chance of being successful,” UCLA internist Mark S. McGowan, M.D., says.

Continue Learning about Quit Smoking

Quit Smoking

Quit Smoking

Smoking tobacco products can lead to severe health problems and even death. While quitting smoking can be very difficult for some smokers, there are smoking cessation programs and medications that can help smokers quit. There are ...

many lifelong benefits of doing so, like increased lung function and decreased risk of heart disease and cancer. Understanding the importance of quitting smoking and all options available to help stop smoking is key to long-term success.