There are no safe cigarettes. Many smokers are mislead into thinking that light cigarettes are not as harmful as other brands. Light cigarettes are lower in nicotine than regular cigarettes, but they contain the same 4,000 harmful chemicals, including 400 cancer-causing chemicals. The light effect is achieved through air dilution using ventilation holes near the filter. Regular smokers who switch to these low-tar and low-nicotine cigarettes tend to compensate by smoking more cigarettes, inhaling more deeply and covering up the ventilation holes.
- Q What is nicotine?
- Q Does glamorizing smoking in movies impact smoking rates?
- Q How long does tobacco stay in my system after I quit smoking?
- Q What are the health and economic costs of smoking?
- Q Why should I quit smoking now?
- Q How do I stay free from smoking once I've completed treatment?