Are e-cigarettes a safe alternative to traditional cigarettes?

E-cigarettes are not always a safe alternative to traditional cigarettes. Although they are less harmful than traditional cigarettes, they do contain nicotine and their long-term effects are unknown. According to the Food and Drug Administration, e-cigarettes are not always safe and in an analysis of 18 samples of cartridges from two leading e-cigarette brands, cancer-causing substances were found in half the samples. There were other impurities noted as well. For example, diethylene glycol, a toxic ingredient found in antifreeze, was found in one sample. Testing also found small amounts of nicotine in most of the cartridges labeled nicotine-free.
Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
E-cigarettes are not “safe” but in comparison to regular cigarettes they are safer, says addiction specialist Douglas Severance, MD. In this video, he talks about the carcinogens found in both kinds.

Continue Learning about Quit Smoking

How to Quit Smoking in 5 Steps
How to Quit Smoking in 5 Steps
"Quitting smoking is easy. I've done it a hundred times!" If you've tried to stop puffing on coffin nails, Mark Twain's quotation rings oh-too-true. B...
How do I know if I’m a light, average, or heavy smoker?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
Some NRT products make their recommendations based on what kind of smoker you are. But there is no f...
Not Ready to Quit Smoking? Try These Lifestyle Changes Instead
Not Ready to Quit Smoking? Try These Lifestyle Changes InsteadNot Ready to Quit Smoking? Try These Lifestyle Changes InsteadNot Ready to Quit Smoking? Try These Lifestyle Changes InsteadNot Ready to Quit Smoking? Try These Lifestyle Changes Instead
Healthy eating and exercise can make it easier to quit when you are finally ready.
Watch Your Weight When You Quit Smoking
Watch Your Weight When You Quit Smoking