How do I manage my pulmonary fibrosis on a daily basis?

Following your doctor-prescribed treatment plan and making lifestyle changes are important to managing your pulmonary fibrosis and improving your quality of life. Aside from taking medications and following other recommendations made by your doctor, you should enroll in pulmonary rehabilitation. The program will teach you different ways to manage your pulmonary fibrosis with programs for diet, exercise, efficient breathing, education, counseling, and emotional support. Your doctors and program directors will encourage you to:

• Quit smoking and avoid secondhand smoke.
  • Be active. Physical activity will keep your strength up, manage stress, and maintain lung function.
  • Eat a healthy diet that includes whole grains, fruits, vegetables, lean meats, poultry, fish, and beans. Consumption of foods high in cholesterol, saturated fat, trans fat, salt, and added sugar should be kept at a minimum.
  • Sleep more to increase energy and manage your stress.
  • Be positive.

If you know of situations such as air travel and high altitudes that will aggravate your pulmonary fibrosis, avoid them. Talk to your doctor and rehabilitation specialists for other ways to manage your pulmonary fibrosis.

Continue Learning about Pulmonary Fibrosis Treatment

How common is pulmonary fibrosis?
Pulmonary fibrosis is considered a rare disease. A 2006 study reported that about 128,000 people in ...
How is pulmonary fibrosis treated?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Pulmonary fibrosis is a condition in which there is significant or widespread scarring in the lungs....
Are there alternative treatments for pulmonary fibrosis?
There are no alternative treatments available for pulmonary fibrosis. Professional medical treatment...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with pulmonary fibrosis?
People who have pulmonary fibrosis often have to make lifestyle changes, and if you are close to som...