What do I need to know about caring for someone with pulmonary fibrosis?

People who have pulmonary fibrosis often have to make lifestyle changes, and if you are close to someone who has the disease, you may have to adjust your own lifestyle as well. Tobacco smoke is very unhealthy for anyone with a lung disease, so not only does your loved one need to quit smoking, but you also need to avoid smoking around your loved one. If you prepare food for someone with pulmonary fibrosis, consult a dietitian for healthy diet guidelines. The dietitian may suggest a diet high in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains and low in cholesterol, saturated fat, and trans fat. Keep in mind as well that stress aggravates pulmonary fibrosis and that exercise and rest are important to your loved one's health. If you have questions, ask your doctor.

Continue Learning about Pulmonary Fibrosis Treatment

How do I manage my pulmonary fibrosis on a daily basis?
Following your doctor-prescribed treatment plan and making lifestyle changes are important to managi...
Is idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis a common version of pulmonary fibrosis?
Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis is by far the most common version of pulmonary fibrosis. The term idio...
How is pulmonary fibrosis treated?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Pulmonary fibrosis is a condition in which there is significant or widespread scarring in the lungs....
Is there a cure for pulmonary fibrosis?
Currently there is no cure for pulmonary fibrosis. Research is ongoing to find both a cure and more ...