How does whole-lung lavage treat pulmonary alveolar proteinosis?

Pulmonary alveolar proteinosis (PAP) is a serious lung condition that afflicts people of all ages, genders and ethnicities. Daily medication is used for symptomatic treatment, but people typically need to have a treatment called whole-lung lavage from time to time. Whole-lung lavage is a therapeutic "washing out" of the lungs. This treatment is performed under general anesthesia and results in a comprehensive removal of surfactant-the substance responsible for disease symptoms.

Continue Learning about Pulmonary Alveolar Proteinosis (PAP)

What is pulmonary alveolar proteinosis?
Pulmonary alveolar proteinosis (PAP) is a rare lung disease that can cause mild to severe breathing ...
How do I care for someone with pulmonary alveolar proteinosis?
Pulmonary alveolar proteinosis (PAP) is a rare lung condition that causes respiratory illness. The c...
What are the treatment options for pulmonary alveolar proteinosis?
Pulmonary alveolar proteinosis (PAP) is a rare lung condition that can appear unexpectedly and cause...
What increases my risk for pulmonary alveolar proteinosis?
Pulmonary alveolar proteinosis (PAP) is a lung disease that affects people of all ages, ethnicities,...