When does puberty start in boys?

The first thing you need to know is that puberty -- that time when girls and boys develop secondary sex characteristics and fertility and start becoming young women and men -- arrives on a different schedule for every child. At the same time, puberty is occurring earlier in general, so don’t be alarmed if you notice changes at a younger age than you experienced. Typically, puberty starts in boys between ten and sixteen. Yes, girls start earlier, which is why they’re often uncomfortably taller than boys in junior high. Puberty can last a few years or several, so don’t expect this ride to be short.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Puberty

What happens if my child is in early or late puberty?
If your child is early or late, your doctor might run blood tests to check on hormone and thyroid le...
At what age does puberty begin?
Puberty typically begins at different ages for males and females. Females tend to begin puberty firs...
What Problems Does Early Puberty Cause for Girls?
How Are "Wet Dreams" and Puberty Related?