When does puberty start in boys?

RealAge
Allergy

The first thing you need to know is that puberty -- that time when girls and boys develop secondary sex characteristics and fertility and start becoming young women and men -- arrives on a different schedule for every child. At the same time, puberty is occurring earlier in general, so don’t be alarmed if you notice changes at a younger age than you experienced. Typically, puberty starts in boys between ten and sixteen. Yes, girls start earlier, which is why they’re often uncomfortably taller than boys in junior high. Puberty can last a few years or several, so don’t expect this ride to be short.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Puberty

Puberty

Puberty affects children between the ages of 11 and 14. The changes can be drastic and all at once, changing your physical growth, cognitive development, emotional and social skills, as well as sensory and motor development. Rapid ...

changes often occur earlier in girl than in boys but both genders will go through physical and emotional changes that segue childhood into adulthood. If often is a difficult time of transition for the adolescent as well as the parents, but strong family support will reaffirm your childs sense of self.