What should I know about caring for a child during puberty?

Puberty is a time of physical, social and emotional change for young adolescents; it is often full of awkwardness as well. Make sure that you are educated about the process and talk with your child about accurate and inaccurate ideas about puberty.

Girls may share concerns about uneven breast development. Often this is normal and their breasts will even out as they continue to grow, but you can always discuss the issue with your doctor. Your daughter may develop cramps related to menstruation; these can be treated with medication if they become severe.

Boys may also experience short-term breast development called gynecomastia. Most of the time this is nothing to worry about, but be sure to consult with your doctor if you think there are complications.

Your child may also begin to develop acne. If acne is painful or severe, talk with your doctor a dermatologist.

Continue Learning about Puberty

What is the sequence of puberty development in girls?
Most young girls begin breast development around age 11. That is followed by pubic hair growth and h...
Why do some children enter puberty early?
Jodie ShieldJodie Shield
Obese children tend to begin puberty earlier than healthy weight children. This may predispose t...
How Are "Wet Dreams" and Puberty Related?
As a Teen, At What Age Will I Stop Growing?