What hormones are involved in puberty?

The lutinizing hormone (LH) stimulates puberty when the hormone begins to be released from the pituitary gland. This causes estrogen to be released in females and testosterone in males. LH interacts with estrogen, testosterone, and follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) to cause breast and penis development, pubic hair and auxillary hair growth, and voice change. Adrenal androgens also play a role, and only progesterone is involved in female development.

Continue Learning about Puberty

How long does puberty last?
Puberty typically lasts for several years, but the duration varies from individual to individual. Mo...
How do other illnesses affect puberty?
Some illnesses and conditions can cause delayed or precocious puberty. Conditions and illnesses that...
How Are "Wet Dreams" and Puberty Related?
What Can I Do to Prevent My Daughter From Reaching Puberty Early?