What causes puberty to begin?

Puberty begins when luteinizing hormone (LH) is produced in the pituitary gland and released in pulses, especially at night. This takes place approximately three years prior to the physical development of secondary sex characteristics, such as hair, breast, and penis growth. LH interacts with other hormones such as testosterone and estrogen to cause the development of these secondary sex characteristics.

Continue Learning about Puberty

What is the sequence of puberty development in girls?
Most young girls begin breast development around age 11. That is followed by pubic hair growth and h...
When should I begin talking about puberty issues with my child?
Good In BedGood In Bed
Whether you realize it or not, you have the tools to talk to your child about puberty. After all, th...
When Does PMS First Appear?
When Does PMS First Appear?
Should I Be Worried If My Daughter Reaches Puberty Before Her Teens?