Should I go with my teen when she goes to the doctor?

Whether you should go with your teen when she goes to the doctor depends on you and your teen's comfort level at being present during the appointment. Some teens benefit from having a parent present because parents help ask questions a teen may not be ready or comfortable asking. You should discuss with your teen if she would like to have you present at the visit. Some teenagers may want to be able to ask their physician questions that they would be less comfortable asking in front of a parent. However, it is important to remain involved in your teenager's health care.
Puberty marks a new era of health concerns. Parents can expect their kids to want some independence and to expect private time with the pediatrician. Honesty is especially important during these years, as annual checkups begin to include new screens for reproductive and sexual health issues, alcohol and drug use.

Continue Learning about Puberty

What happens if my child is in early or late puberty?
If your child is early or late, your doctor might run blood tests to check on hormone and thyroid le...
What medications affect the onset of puberty?
Doctors may prescribe synthetic gonadotropin-releasing hormone (such as leuprolide, acetate, deslore...
When Does PMS First Appear?
When Does PMS First Appear?
What Problems Does Early Puberty Cause for Girls?