How are "wet dreams" and puberty related?

Ellen Rome, MD
Pediatrics
Watch as Dr. Ellen Rome explains how "wet dreams" and puberty are related.

"Wet dreams" or nighttime ejaculations often begin during puberty and are a normal occurrence for males. They are a sign of fertility, although they do not mark the beginning of fertility. Sperm is produced continuously in the testes. The sperm is stored and released when new sperm is produced. This can happen in nocturnal emissions or after sex.

Continue Learning about Puberty

What causes puberty to begin?
Puberty begins when luteinizing hormone (LH) is produced in the pituitary gland and released in puls...
What should I expect to see in my child at each stage of puberty?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Here's what you can expect to see in your child during puberty:School Age: Puberty signs may begin i...
As a Teen, At What Age Will I Stop Growing?
What Can I Do to Prevent My Daughter From Reaching Puberty Early?