What can cause puberty to begin in a girl at a very young age?

Most girls do not show signs of puberty until they are at least 8 years old, but being overweight could start the process a little earlier. We think that what happens when you get heavy, the fat comes alive and it actually takes the hormones in your body and starts converting them to estrogen, which is what actually starts the puberty process. The other thing that happens is you get more insulin. Most folks don't realize what insulin does besides the fact it controls blood sugar. Insulin is an anabolic hormone. It builds you.

Although other environmental factors could contribute to early puberty, being overweight is the most common cause. The first thing I'd start out with is tell her to go outside and play. We can talk about foods and all those things, but the number one thing that little kids need to be able to do is go outside and do the things that historically humans have always done, which is expend energy by playing and having a good time.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Puberty

As a Teen, At What Age Will I Stop Growing?
What Happens to the Female Brain at Onset of Puberty?
How Are "Wet Dreams" and Puberty Related?
When Does PMS First Appear?
When Does PMS First Appear?