At what age does puberty begin?

Puberty typically begins at different ages for males and females. Females tend to begin puberty first, around age 10. Males being puberty later, usually around age 12. These ages may vary; however, parents of females that begin puberty prior to 8 years old and males who begin puberty prior to 9 years old should consult a physician. Early or precocious puberty may be a sign of other disorders or diseases that may need treatment.

Continue Learning about Puberty

Will my child's behavior change during puberty?
Puberty is a time of physical, social, and cognitive development for adolescents, and it is likely t...
What should I know about caring for a child during puberty?
Puberty is a time of physical, social and emotional change for young adolescents; it is often full o...
What Problems Does Early Puberty Cause for Girls?
As a Teen, At What Age Will I Stop Growing?