How does stress affect weight loss?

Vandana  R. Sheth

Stress can have a negative effect on weight. Studies have linked an increased stress level to increased fat storage/weight gain. However, lifestyle choices including inadequate sleep, fast food meals, inadequate exercise also play a key role in weight gain associated with stress. Stress management is an important factor in a successful weight loss plan along with healthy eating, adequate sleep and regular physical activity.

Stress may be hindering your weight loss. That's because your body releases the hormone cortisol when you're stressed, which makes you crave fatty, sugary foods that promote dreaded belly fat. Do what you can to soothe that stress. A study of overweight and obese women revealed that fighting stress can help shrink belly fat. The less you stress, the less you'll crave cookies and ice cream.

Continue Learning about Psychology of Weight Loss

Is Social Media Making You Fat?
Is Social Media Making You Fat?
It’s hard to scroll past a perfectly photographed cake or mac and cheese dish on Facebook or Instagram—but you might want to. Food porn, defined as a...
Does food have the power to make me feel happy or sad?
Dr. Ramani Durvasula, PhDDr. Ramani Durvasula, PhD
While there is some evidence that certain foods - and they often tend to be sugars/fats - can activa...
What goes on in the minds of most dieters?
One of the realities of being overweight is that many dieters—that is, people who know they need to ...
How Does My Friend Being Obese Influence My Weight?