How can I change my relationship to food if I want to lose weight?

Laura Katleman-Prue
You can change your fundamental relationship to food by changing how you habitually think about it. If you don’t do that, you might as well hang it up right now. No diet, no matter how vigilant you are, is going to work long term without that component.

Relax. I’m not asking you to go on yet another diet. Instead, I’m encouraging you to:
  • Permanently change your diet and
  • Change your relationship to food.
Let’s take these one at a time. Changing your diet means changing what you're eating habitually so that most of your calories come from healthy, nutritious, whole foods, and eating those foods in reasonable portions.

The second component is changing your relationship to food. Bad eating habits in part stem from the way you've been thinking about food. Hence, the diet I advocate is a "thought diet," questioning and debunking the fantasies that have been mediating between you and food.

To recap, neither component can work without the other. Merely changing the foods you eat and your portion sizes isn't enough. Neither is changing your relationship to food if you're still getting the bulk of your calories from junk and eating unreasonably large portions. A bird needs both of its wings to fly, and healing your food issues requires both components to be complete and lasting -- a shift in your diet and a change in your relationship with food.
Skinny Thinking: Five Revolutionary Steps to Permanently Heal Your Relationship With Food, Weight, and Your Body

READY TO END YOUR FOOD and WEIGHT WORRIES? If so, Skinny Thinking is for you. The only way to create a healthy relationship with food and stop battling with your weight is to change the way you think...

Continue Learning about Psychology of Weight Loss

Is Social Media Making You Fat?
Is Social Media Making You Fat?
It’s hard to scroll past a perfectly photographed cake or mac and cheese dish on Facebook or Instagram—but you might want to. Food porn, defined as a...
What if I make a mistake while on my diet?
Judith Beck, PhDJudith Beck, PhD
Everybody makes mistakes, it’s not the end of the world. Get back on track this minute! It’s a milli...
Why do diets fail?
Sharon Richter, RDSharon Richter, RD
Diets tend to fail because when people hear the word "diet," they automatically think of deprivation...
How Does Negative Self Talk Affect Me?
How Does Negative Self Talk Affect Me?