How does being overweight change my perceptions?

Lisa Oz
Health Education

Being overweight may not be as dramatic as an acute disease, but it has considerable bearing on how you perceive yourself and those around you. Even being just ten or fifteen pounds heavier than you would like can be detrimental to your relationships. When you are feeling fat, you are more likely to be mean, snappish, and insecure. You have less energy, less patience with your kids, and try to avoid social situations altogether. Your preoccupation with your weight keeps you focused on yourself, and prevents you from really being available to those around you.

Being healthy, physically and emotionally, includes appreciating what you have got and refusing to indulge in any form of self-loathing. You may have some excess omentum, but you can not put off enjoying your relationships until that day in the fictional future when you will look very slim. The fantasy that you will be perfect once you lose those extra pounds actually gets in the way of doing something about your real situation.

Continue Learning about Psychology of Weight Loss

Is Social Media Making You Fat?
Is Social Media Making You Fat?
It’s hard to scroll past a perfectly photographed cake or mac and cheese dish on Facebook or Instagram—but you might want to. Food porn, defined as a...
Why can diets cause guilt and shame?
Dr. Ramani Durvasula, PhDDr. Ramani Durvasula, PhD
Because they set us up to fail - diets don't work.  They are based on unrealistic expectations, unna...
How can I overcome my sugar cravings?
Rae Reed , NASM Elite TrainerRae Reed , NASM Elite Trainer
Sugar cravings can be challenging, especially when trying to develop new healthy diet and exercise h...
In This Early Stage of Online Medical Records, Is the Data Scattered?