Does food have the power to make me feel happy or sad?

While there is some evidence that certain foods - and they often tend to be sugars/fats - can activate dopaminergic reward pathways, by and large - any power food has, is the power we give it.  When we feel "out of control" with a food - then we do truly believe it has a power over us.    Over time, if we use foods to help us with sadness, to celebrate, to numb - we associate the food with the feeling, and it gets more power that way.   Food is a mind game - while some foods are more reinforcing than others, and easier to get "swept away" by (e.g. cookies, chips, ice cream), it is by monitoring the feelings that foods bring up in us that is the first step to breaking those associations and treating food like food and not power.

Continue Learning about Psychology of Weight Loss

Is Social Media Making You Fat?
Is Social Media Making You Fat?
It’s hard to scroll past a perfectly photographed cake or mac and cheese dish on Facebook or Instagram—but you might want to. Food porn, defined as a...
What are subconscous reasons people resist losing weight?
Katie Rickel, PhDKatie Rickel, PhD
When a new client comes into my office for weight-loss counseling, I begin by asking two questio...
What are the benefits of eating with awareness?
Phil Holbrook , NASM Elite TrainerPhil Holbrook , NASM Elite Trainer
The benefits of eating with awareness will maximize fitness levels, and help to maintain and stabili...
Why Are Social Networks Important to Healthcare?