Can taking time for myself help me lose weight?

Manuel Villacorta
If you want to lose weight, don't feel guilty about taking time for yourself and doing what you need to do, because it's the only way to succeed. Honestly, a lot of people fail at reaching their goals because they don't take the time for themselves for healthy living. Weight gain is most often a by-product of not taking care of oneself. It's not just what you eat. It's not just that you're not exercising. Self-care is something you will learn to practice and take with you for the rest of your life. For the most part, we only hear about weight loss and never weight maintenance. And no programs seem to teach the critical time-management skills necessary to succeed. Don't feel guilty about relaxing or having downtime. These are not lazy things; they are essential for optimal balance.

So many people I meet constantly tell themselves, "I need to do more," or punish themselves, deciding it's lazy to sit down to watch TV after work. I remind them that they got up at 6:00 am, took care of the kids, drove through rush-hour traffic, worked a hectic day, came home to do chores, and cooked for the family. So if you'd rather relax after all that than add stress and guilt about not making it to the gym, I don't think you're lazy; I think you're tired. The idea that you have to be at the gym every day is simply ridiculous. There are other ways -- just as important ways -- of practicing self-care. You need to know that it's okay to schedule some chill time. Take a nap, read a book, enjoy a bath. Embrace those acts and know that they are as important as going to the gym.
Eating Free: The Carb-Friendly Way to Lose Inches, Embrace Your Hunger, and Keep Weight Off for Good

Eating Free reveals why the prevailing wisdom on weight loss--low-calorie, no carbs, high-intensity exercise--sharply clashes with the facts of human biology and human nature, setting dieters up for...

Continue Learning about Psychology of Weight Loss

Is Social Media Making You Fat?
Is Social Media Making You Fat?
It’s hard to scroll past a perfectly photographed cake or mac and cheese dish on Facebook or Instagram—but you might want to. Food porn, defined as a...
Why is it important to enjoy food in order to lose weight?
Dr. Ramani Durvasula, PhDDr. Ramani Durvasula, PhD
Deprivation = failure.  If we keep depriving ourselves, over time we lose our ability to say "no."  ...
Why do I end up eating more even if I am not really hungry?
For too many people eating is often less about nutrition and nourishment and more about feelings. We...
How Does My Friend Being Obese Influence My Weight?