How can stress affect my waistline?

Ms. Ashley Koff, RD
The split second you feel stressed, anxious, deeply worried, scared, or simply concerned that you can't pay a bill, the hypothalamus (a region of the brain, the seat of our emotions) secretes corticotropin-releasing hormone (CRH, a stress coordinator) to start a domino effect ending in cortisol rushing into your bloodstream.

Cortisol is the body's chief stress hormone that also controls how your body processes carbs, fats, and proteins, and helps it to reduce inflammation. Because it's the hormone responsible for protecting you, its actions increase your appetite, tell your body to stock up on more fat, and break down materials that can be used for quick forms of energy, including muscle. Not all that you'd like to happen, but when your body senses stress (even when you know it's not the kind that will physically kill you in ten seconds or less), it thinks you won't see food again for a while -- or it may need an ample supply of fuel to camp out on during a famine or use to make a mad dash. In other words, cortisol causes tissues to break down, including muscle, skin, and collagen, while at the same time assembling fat.
Mom Energy: A Simple Plan to Live Fully Charged

From celebrated dietitian Ashley Koff and fitness trainer to the stars Kathy Kaehler comes Mom Energy, an exciting new way for moms to tap into their own natural and renewable sources of...
When cortisol levels remain high, this causes abdominal fat to accumulate—evidenced by an increased waistline and the “apple” body shape. We’re now learning that people who have apple body shapes have an increased risk of diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and pro-inflammatory markers. Some findings indicate that the relationship between waistline size (called central fat) and inflammation may be more significant than the connection between total obesity and inflammation.
Diet for a Pain-Free Life: A Revolutionary Plan to Lose Weight, Stop Pain, Sleep Better and Feel Great in 21 Days, ADA...sound nutritional advice...do-able, delicious..a godsend to pain sufferers.

Do you wake up each morning aching with joint or muscle pain? Have you been trying to lose stubborn belly fat for years? Do you wish you could be active without pain medications? Look no further:...

Continue Learning about Psychology of Weight Loss

Is Social Media Making You Fat?
Is Social Media Making You Fat?
It’s hard to scroll past a perfectly photographed cake or mac and cheese dish on Facebook or Instagram—but you might want to. Food porn, defined as a...
Can taking time for myself help me lose weight?
Manuel VillacortaManuel Villacorta
If you want to lose weight, don't feel guilty about taking time for yourself and doing what you need...
How can I become more aware of what I eat?
Laura Katleman-PrueLaura Katleman-Prue
Begin to bring awareness to the whole process of eating by getting curious about it. When and wh...
How Do I Influence the Health of Other People in My Social Network?