What should I know about using sunscreen if I have psoriatic arthritis?

In many cases, psoriatic arthritis is linked to psoriasis, and it is possible to have both conditions at the same time. For people diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis, good skin care habits are especially important to help manage or prevent outbreaks of psoriasis.

If you are prone to psoriasis or at a increased risk, you should use extra care with sun exposure. Too much sun can harm sensitive skin or can cause a flare-up of psoriasis. However, mild sun exposure, especially UVB light, may help to improve your skin condition if you have psoriasis. Your dermatologist may suggest you enjoy the outdoors on a limited basis, and always with sun protection. Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen that protects against UVA and UVB rays with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 30. Your doctor may suggest that you use a sunscreen made for sensitive skin.

Continue Learning about Psoriatic Arthritis

My Story: Todd and Psoriatic Arthritis
My Story: Todd and Psoriatic Arthritis
Living with constant pain can change you. In this inspiring story, Todd explains how strength training and weightlifting has helped him regain mobilit...
How effective is sulfasalazine at treating psoriatic arthritis?
There have been several small studies on using sulfasalazine to treat psoriatic arthritis. The drug ...
Heart Disease, Back Pain and 4 Other Health Risks Linked to Psoriatic Arthritis
Heart Disease, Back Pain and 4 Other Health Risks Linked to Psoriatic ArthritisHeart Disease, Back Pain and 4 Other Health Risks Linked to Psoriatic ArthritisHeart Disease, Back Pain and 4 Other Health Risks Linked to Psoriatic ArthritisHeart Disease, Back Pain and 4 Other Health Risks Linked to Psoriatic Arthritis
When it comes to psoriatic arthritis,you need a complete care team to manage your health. Learn more about the dangers related to psoriatic arthritis....
Fight Finger Stiffness
Fight Finger Stiffness